Monday, December 21, 2015

2015 Advent Ornament

This is an annual challenge from the Laughing Purple Goldfish group on ravelry.com . I had fun participating last year and wanted to give it another go.

The idea is to create a unique ornament using re-purposed materials, i.e., stuff laying around your house.

Mine is not really quite an ornament as it's going to be a tree topper, but it's still something that has to do with going on a tree for the Winter Holidays, right !!??

Kitty Angel Tree Topper

My Cutie Pomanders are showing up nicely !!!

KITTEN HELPER
I've laid out what I'm going to work with: roving, locks, soap bottle, origami paper, felted wool dryer ball.

Not pictured; felting supplies - tulle, bubble wrap, soap, plastic bag - glue stick for origami paper, scissors, needle and thread.
 
My idea was sparked by the shape of the dish soap bottle.  I've been wanting to do some more resist felting, after working with Abi a couple weeks ago and this popped into my head.

Here is Comet, my crafty kitty !!  She's always ready to help me with anything that involves fiber, yarn or fiddly bits !





Get Set !

Go !!

I think that's enough.  Roving all around the bottle

Didn't think this was any better for felting than regular dish soap
Someone gave me this bottle of Power Scour. It's for cleaning wool fleece and supposedly just the thing for felting.  I'm no expert, but I didn't think it did any better job felting than the dish soap I usually use. Plus the Power Scour has some type of fragrance in it, so it's not going to work for me.
Bundled up in tulle - ready to be felted



Using a plastic bag to get the wool wet and soapy !


Finished with the first stage of felting. The wool is starting to form around the bottle and I will take the tulle off


Worked it some more. Now to start hot and cold to harden it up


Was a trick to get it OFF the form !!! More shaping

Have had enough of working this. Stuffed with a plastic bag...

and ready to dry

Getting ready to wet felt the head




The felting around the Dryer Ball went on so smooth !! Lovely

Then I spaced out taking pictures every step. Sorry !!!  I've needle felted on the ears, face and hair. Plus I needle felted the head to the body. Looking good so far ! I just need the wings and I'm going to use some of the felting tulle for an over-skirt and I'll be done.

Hair and face on. The felting around the dryer ball is so smooth !!

Love the Locks for hair
Done ! I added the crocheted bracelet as a belt

The hair is the best !!
The Kitten Angel blessing our tree !











1 comment: