Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Flower Garden Blanket

The Ever Changing Blanket ! 
"Beyond the Square" by Edie Eckman


Some of you might remember in my WIP Challenge blogs from April 2012 that one of the projects was a blanket with crocheted motifs joined with Freeform.  This was a project that sat buried in a bag in my office for over a year, lost among all my other WIP (work in progress) crochet projects. Wah !

The original idea is a series of 18 inch by 18 inch panels crocheted together to make blanket. I LOVE the motifs in Edie Eckman's  "Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs".  I wanted them to look like pieces of colored glass sitting crushed white rock, like a mosaic. Freeform was to be the mortar that held these lovely motifs together.


Color !
 I picked out a palate of colors using Brown Sheep Nature's Spun worsted weight yarns

Top Row: Limestone, Boysenberry, Regal Purple

Middle Row: Peruvian Pink, Victorian Pink, Purple Splendor, Cherry Delight

Bottom Row: Bit of Blue, Impasse Yellow, Elf Green.

Not shown: Spring Green and Snow.


Because of the WIP Challenge, I finally got it organized and made up my mind as to how I'm going to go about crocheting this and putting it together. Or so I thought. Since WIP Challenge, I've changed my mind a half dozen times as to what it's going to be. I've scrapped the original motifs connected by freeform several times. I've decided to make a granny stripe blanket, skip the blanket all together and make a sweater out of the yarn or just stash the yarn for later use....... you're getting the picture.


But I keep coming back to motif / freeform idea, so that must mean something.  I have cut the size though and I don't think that's going back up. It was going to totally cover the top of out bed, then it was going half way, then a third. Lately I've been toying with the idea of just a strip of color at the bottom of the bed. Hmmm....  But seriously, I'm looking at making something big enough to cover a third of the bed.

Lovely confusion


I've finally got enough motifs crocheted to make up the first panel.











Layout board with pinned motifs


Here is my layout board for the first panel ! I even have a bit of the joining crochet started.

Check here to see how I set up my layout board.




One of the motifs is missing cause it needed an extra blocking.


Update - September 2015 !!

I finished this a year ago in September 2014 - I lost interest in making a full sized blanket out of it and turned it into a throw sized blanket.

I did a deep border using the colors in the motifs. It wound up being about 40 inches by 40 inches. Sweet !



No comments:

Post a Comment