Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Freeform Layout Board

My Freeform Bag
Sometimes, when putting together your scrumbles you'll want to lay them out in a certain order to crochet them together.

A good book for information about how to set up freeform projects is "Creative crochet lace : a freeform look at classic crochet" by Myra Wood.

You can assemble your pieces on paper or fabric. You need to have your template be the size you want you overall project to be.

A piece of paper works just fine for smaller projects. I built the freeform bag around a purse I already had. I copied the sides, back, front and flap dimension on paper and then laid my scrumbles down on the templates as I crocheted them or stitched them together.


 Here is how I made my layout board for my Flower Garden Blanket.

18 inch by 18 inch cardboard

I decided I wanted to pin my motifs down so I used a fabric covered base.  I used cardboard for my base.

I wanted an 18 inch by 18 inch block for the blanket panels, so cut my cardboard out to size.







Cardboard on the old sheet.

Then I laid out an old sheet, put the cardboard on top of it ...










Fabric cut out just a bit bigger than cardboard







and cut the sheet out to be just larger than the cardboard template.










Fabric taped to back of cardboard




I folded and taped the fabric to the backside of the cardboard. I used packing tape.












Fabric covered layout board with motifs pinned on




My layout board is finished !

No comments:

Post a Comment